5 Safety Tips During the Most Vulnerable Times for Jewelry Businesses
Proper opening and closing procedures are essential since these are the most vulnerable times for jewelry businesses. Criminals look to commit their crimes near opening and closing, especially during the busy holiday season when businesses often have extended open hours.
The tips below will help your business be a “hard target” against crime:
- Be observant to be sure you are not being followed on your way to and from work.
- Vary your routes and times of arrival and departure from work.
- Observe the surroundings of your business and any other properties nearby. Don’t proceed until you are confident that the coast is clear.
- Never open or close the business alone. One person should observe from a safe location with a cell phone at the ready while the other associate goes in to check the premises. Once that associate has provided an all-clear signal, the observer can enter the business. A reverse procedures should be followed at closing time.
- After entering the premises for opening, immediately lock the doors and keep them locked until you are ready to open for business.