Preventing Switch Thefts: 5 Simple Actions Jewelers Can Take Today
Don’t turn your calendar over to the new year yet … there’s plenty of time for criminals to play the part of the Grinch to spoil your otherwise successful holiday season.
The sneakiest of criminals are masters at switch thefts, many of whom are so adept that they will perpetrate their crimes without your even knowing it … until far too late.
Follow these pointers and start preventing switch thefts today:
- Have a tweezers, loupe, cleaning cloth, and showing pad at the ready so you don’t need to turn your attention away from your customer.
- Use a loupe and/or a diamond tester to carefully examine every item before handing it to a customer. Then re-examine every item after the customer has handled it, to ensure that it is indeed the same item.
- Show only one item at a time.
- Serve one customer at a time and provide one-on-one attention. If you feel uncomfortable, ask for assistance from an associate who can provide an extra set of eyes.
- Keep a close eye on purses, jackets, or large shopping bags that customers may use to conceal a counterfeit item before the switch or a stolen item after the switch.