5 Jewelry Store Promotion Ideas That Don't Cost a Dime
If you've been in business long enough, you know there's "no such thing as a free lunch."
There's always an opportunity cost for your time but rolling up your sleeves and accomplishing something without directly detracting from your bottom line is a wonderful feeling.
When it comes to jewelry store promotion ideas, you don't necessarily need to run a sale, put on an event, or have a wide-reaching advertising presence to bring customers in.
Many retailers use these five tactics alongside their regularly planned seasonal promotions to boost the effectiveness of their efforts:
Jewelry Store Promotion Ideas
1. Collect Contact Information
Start building relationships right at the point-of-sale by gathering email addresses, street addresses, phone numbers and any other ways you can get in front of your loyal customers.
Apply the 80/20 rule (80% of your sales come from 20% of your customers) and spend time appealing to those who already know and trust you. Sending reminders for jewelry cleaning, maintenance, and appraisals is a terrific way to stay in touch with loyal customers instead of only telling them when you're having a sale.
Plus, your customers who insure their personal jewelry with Jewelers Mutual have the flexibility to choose you, their preferred jeweler, for the services you provide. Better yet, you get paid directly for claim-related work.
2. Use Industry Resources
Yes, there's an upfront cost associated with being a member of a group like Jewelers of America (JA), but its free marketing and promotional resources are reasons to become and remain a member.
If your business doesn't have an official marketing department, you can think of JA as an extension of your business to help with promotion and boost consumer awareness of jewelry in general.
3. Get Social
If you don’t already have a social media presence, now is the time to create one for your business. Coming up with original content to share can be overwhelming. Instead of being silent while you think of what to post, here are a few ideas.
- See what others in the jewelry industry are doing. For example, follow Jewelers Mutual and American Gem Society and share their posts on your social pages or put your own twist on the content and make it your own.
- Tell your story. Who are you? How did you get started in the jewelry business? What do you love about your community?
- Post real photos from your customers. Did they recently get engaged? Encourage them to share their photo with you and get their permission to share it on your social pages or ask them to tag you in their social media announcement of the big news.
4. Provide a Meaningful Experience
Consumers today want to have a meaningful experience they can remember and share with others. Here are a few ways to be a meaningful business:
- Provide an excellent product at a fair price
- Offer a compelling shopping experience
- Give back to your community—find your purpose beyond selling jewelry
5. Consider a Loyalty Program
Studies show that both millennials and Gen Z are avid users and appreciate a personalized program that’s easy to use. Announce your loyalty program on social media to promote your jewelry store.
Jewelers Mutual offers several premium jeweler programs to support jewelry business owners in enhancing the overall customer experience by extending service after the sale. These programs are also a great way to build trust with your customers and grow your business.
While some of these ideas are not technically a "free lunch," they are probably the closest a jewelry store promotion idea will come.