5 Ways to Protect Your Jewelry in Winter
You prepare your vehicle and home for winter, but should you protect your jewelry any differently? The winter season presents its own unique risks to jewelry.
Here are five ways to protect your jewelry that will help prevent loss or damage, letting you wear it without worry all year long.
- Ensure a proper fit. Colder temperatures can cause fingers to constrict and make rings more likely to fall off. Do the “shake test.” If rings feel too loose, visit your trusted jeweler for resizing.
- Beware of dangerous accessories. Ring prongs can snag on the inside of gloves and mittens, causing diamonds and other gemstones to become loose and fall out. Be extra careful when removing your winter accessories and make sure all rings and stones are in place.
- Watch the sweaters. Loose knits can easily get caught on necklace clasps or snatch earrings from the lobes. Pull on your winter wools before applying your jewelry.
- Bust a move, bling-free. Skiing, snowboarding, sledding, as well as indoor fitness can put your jewelry at increased risk for chips, breaks and accidental loss. Consider removing your jewelry when you’re most-active.
- Get insurance. Is it all insured? You can bundle additional pieces under your existing Jewelers Mutual policy as a cost-effective way to keep it all protected, whatever the season!
Not insured with Jewelers Mutual yet? Jewelers Mutual offers worldwide, comprehensive coverage that covers real life. Learn more or call us at 888-884-2424.