Picking an Engagement Ring? 4 Thoughts to Consider
You’ve found the one you want to marry. All you need to do now is pick the perfect engagement ring and ask.
Easy, right? Relax. Take these four thoughts into consideration to get you started down the proposal path.
Thoughts to Consider when Picking an Engagement Ring
1. When Picking an Engagement Ring...
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does your significant other have a physical job or enjoy being active?
- Is there a family heirloom to keep in mind?
- Do they have a preference on stone or metal type?
Now’s the time to be open to some ring shopping knowledge before making the big purchase.
2. Choosing the Jeweler
Finding the right jeweler helps relieve your stress and makes finding the perfect ring easier.
- Ask for recommendations. Family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers are a good place to start.
- Think beyond the initial purchase. Do they offer post-sale services, such as cleaning and repairs?
- Go with your gut!
Ask these five questions when you visit the jeweler.
3. Insuring the Ring
Should you insure an engagement ring? That’s a big, fat YES.
- It’s likely the most valuable piece of jewelry you or your significant other own, make sure it’s protected.
- The ideal person to insure the ring is whomever has it in their possession first.
- Homeowners insurance may not be enough coverage.
If you're interested in seeing how much jewelry insurance could cost you per year, get a free quote in under a minute! No personal information required.
4. Storing the Ring
Congratulations, you bought the ring! Where should you keep it so your fiancée doesn’t stumble upon it? Here are a couple of good options:
- Leave it with the jeweler.
- Rent a safe-deposit box.
For more tips like these that can take you from the jewelry store to down on one knee, download our Purchase to Proposal Guide.