The Little Known Way to Ruin the Perfect Proposal
The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Proposal: Part 2 of 3
You choose the perfect location, pick up a new outfit, and select exactly the right music to set the mood. The ring is precisely what she has been hinting at and you just know she is going to say "yes." But what happens if the ring gets damaged, lost or stolen before the big moment?
In a recent survey conducted by Jewelers Mutual, we found that 60% of engagement rings are not insured prior to the proposal*. On top of that, 60% of rings are also stored in the home, leaving them at risk for damage, loss and/or theft.
Many grooms-to-be are inadvertently missing a crucial step in the engagement process - planning the storage and transport of the ring.
Keeping the Ring Safe
Here are five tips on protecting your ring until the big day:
- Store the ring in a safe place. Rent out a safe-deposit box at your local bank or check with your jeweler on keeping it with them until you're ready to propose. Your home is not a safe option.
- Ensure she doesn't find it. Hiding the ring at home raises the potential that your future bride will discover it. Keeping the ring at a bank safety deposit box or with your jeweler will prevent this from happening while also keeping the ring safe from theft.
- Document it. Don't forget to keep an accurate appraisal of the ring. Make two copies and store one separately from your jewelry. Also include a photo or video of the ring.
- Carry it personally. If traveling to a special destination for a proposal, don't hand your jewelry bag to any hotel or restaurant staff, and don't leave it unattended in a car or suitcase.
- Insure it right. Jewelers Mutual provides repair and replacement coverage for any loss, damage, theft or mysterious disappearance wherever your travels take you, worldwide.
When to Get Covered
Applying directly after purchase is the most ideal time to get protection. As soon as you complete the transaction and leave the jewelry store, that beautiful ring is your responsibility and anything could happen between then and the proposal!
How to Get Covered
It's fast, easy and more affordable than you may think. Rates vary by location, but for most people, purchasing jewelry insurance coverage from Jewelers Mutual will cost 1-2% of the jewelry's value. For example, a $5,000 engagement ring could cost as little as $50 per year to protect. Minimum annual premium is as low as $25.
Get a free quote and see for yourself. Once it's insured, you will feel confident that the ring is ready to dazzle your future bride.
After all, you don't want to end up in this situation:
Or this one:
Have more tips on pre-proposal ring care? Share with us in the comments!
*Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, Proposals and Ring Protection Survey, September 2014.
Underwritten by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, Neenah, Wisconsin.
Coverage and pricing are subject to underwriting review and approval, and to policy terms and conditions.