The Jewelry Box

FOR SMART, STYLISH JEWELRY LOVERS EVERYWHERE

The Jewelry Box Blog

10 Dos and Don'ts to Planning the Perfect Proposal

on Oct 17, 2014 3:01 PM

The Ultimate Guide to the Perfect Proposal: Part 3 of 3
Beach proposal

A survey done by The Knot and Men's Health shows 26 percent of women don't like the way their fiancé proposed.* Avoid common blunders and join the other 74 percent with these 10 tips.

1. Don't propose without a ring. A recent survey by The Knot indicates the single biggest mistake proposers can make is proposing empty-handed. If you aren't sure what style of ring your partner wants, purchase one from a jeweler with a flexible exchange policy or borrow a family ring until you two can decide together.

2. Insure the ring beforehand. A lot can happen between the ring purchase and the big day. Make sure your ring is insured as a backup plan in case disaster strikes! Get a free quote now; it's quick, easy and affordable.

3. Be inspired, but not a copycat. There are lots of great proposal ideas scattered across the web. Do some research to gather ideas, but don't think your fiancé-to-be hasn't done the same. He or she will recognize that viral video, too!

4. Personalize your proposal. Another reason not to copy another couple. No two couples are exactly alike, neither should two proposals be. Go to your favorite spot for a night out or the place you first met. Present a family heirloom rather than a brand new piece of jewelry. Incorporate your song. There are lots of ways to customize this moment - make sure it's memorable and unique to you!

5. Propose for your partner, not to him/her. Sure the traditional phrase is to "propose to" your significant other. But, if you think of it more as proposing for him/her, you're more likely to plan a true dream proposal. Maybe you love the Red Sox, but don't propose on the Jumbotron at Fenway Park if your partner isn't so crazy about baseball. Think of your love's favorite things and incorporate those.

6. Ring boxes were made for a reason. Don't put the ring in food. Don't tie the ring to an animal. Don't slip it in your pocket bare and accidentally donate it to Goodwill. Use the box it came in - or this fancy-schmancy new box that's as slim as a wallet!

7. Stay firmly rooted on dry land. Because this. And this. That is all.

8. Don't share your plan with everyone and their brother. Humans are notoriously bad at keeping secrets. Don't risk the surprise by letting too many people in on the plan.

9. Practice makes perfect. Even if you know exactly how you feel about the love of your life, recite what you're going to say in front of a mirror. This is a life-changing moment and you're bound to get nervous when you're down on one knee.

10. Speaking of knees ... Get down on one. This gesture and the engagement ring make it feel like a true proposal. The symbolism expresses your sincerity better than any speech you could write.

There are lots of details to think about when planning to pop the question. If you got to the bottom of this post, we're confident you'll get the "yes" you're looking for!

*TheKnot.com & Men's Health's 4th Annual Proposal Survey, 2011

Read more:

Part 1 - Choosing the Perfect Engagement Ring
Part 2 - The Little Known Way to Ruin the Perfect Proposal

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.